VIDEO & AUDIO
Mabel is a hand-built multi-pattern condenser microphone designed primarily for studio use on demanding sources like acoustic instruments, drum overheads, and vocals. Mabel features a unique copper-ringed head basket with brass grill work, held in a pivoting mount in a stainless-steel yoke, and a copper-and-brass body. The design is both visually stunning and extremely practical, as the pivoting head makes for easy positioning adjustments.
She uses two fixed-cardioid electret medium-large diaphragm (26mm) condenser capsules, individually tested and selected to match each other and strict design criteria. The circuit is a transformerless FET with fully balanced output, incorporating thorough EMI protection. Other electrical components in the signal path are highest quality metal film resistors, polypropylene and polystyrene capacitors, and individually tested, hand-matched and biased transistors and JFETs.
The dual-cardioid-capsule design is an uncommon approach to a multi-pattern mic. It has advantages in an especially deep null at the sides of the figure 8 pattern and greater control over the directional frequency response across all the patterns. The circuit includes high frequency EQ tuned to the capsules to provide a very smooth high end. The response is very flat, with full low end and controlled high end, with response dropping above 14K.
- Hand-made microphone with unique appearance
- Multiple switch-selectable patterns - cardioid, omni, figure-8
- Pivoting head for ease of positioning
- Internal shock dampers for minimal handling noise
- Integral silk and mesh pop filter
- Transformerless FET fully balanced electronics
- Highest quality hand-wired electronic components - film caps, precision resistors, hand tested and matched transistors, with component values tuned for the individual circuit.
In studio for vocals, acoustic instruments, overheads. Multiple patterns provide different tonal options.
"Mabel sits comfortably alongside both the Shure KSM44 and Audio Technica's 4047MP. It has the same natural smoothness and solid sound that they exhibit and that has made them modern classics."
Recording Magazine Full Review
"Mabel is a winner sonically, built like a beautifully quirky steampunk tank and a true joy to have in a mic locker."
ProAudio Review Full Review
"Judged purely on the recorded results, Mabel is a girl worth getting to know.”
Sound On Sound Full Review
- TRANSDUCER TYPE: condenser, large (26 mm) diaphragm
- POLAR PATTERN: cardioid
- FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 20 - 18K hz (-3dB)
- SENSITIVITY: -33dB (23 mV/Pa) cardioid,
-38dB (12 mV/Pa) omni and figure 8
- OUTPUT IMPEDANCE: <50 Ohm
- NOISE LEVEL (A-weighted): <17 dBA
- POWER REQUIREMENT: +48V phantom power
- WEIGHT: 1.2 lb (4 lbs cased)
- DIMENSIONS: 8 1/2” x 4 1/2” x 1 3/4”; head is 2 1/2” in diameter
- SKU: ETL-MABEL
- View product info with polar pattern & frequency plot
- Metal tool case with foam padding, 11” x 6” x 3"
- Mic clip
RECOMMENDED (click photo to add to cart)
- DiMarzio braided XLR cable ($70) - for added glamour